Jack's Little Mei Mei

Monday, January 29, 2007

Chinese Herb Stands and Market-Last Post from China

Lily in her Chinese dragon headdress.

Enjoying a coffee and bottle after the walking tour. Sorry I put the photos in backwards. The beginning of the Herb market is at the bottom.
7-up anyone?
Noodles
Kittens and puppies for sale





The old with the new


Scorpions anyone? They eat these!
Dried frogs for some ailment.
Chinese herb store. There were dozens of little shops like these on this block.



Shamian Island, the location of the White Swan Hotel, use to be a collections port so many westerners use to come here to import and export goods. The island has a western/European feel and is very clean and beautiful. It feels like New Orleans. The White Swan Hotel is a 5 star hotel and has hosted many presidents and even the Queen of England. When you cross the bridge and go into Guangzhou, just a short 15 minute walk from the White Swan, you are back in "real China" again as Cindy tells us. We experienced that yesterday afternoon.

Cindy took us on a walking Chinese Herbal market tour. The Chinese boil the herbs and make them into a soup to relieve whatever ailment is occurring. We even saw dried seastars which is suppose to help with sore throats. After the block of herb shops we went by a pet market on teh next block where they sell all sorts of pets including dogs and cats. She told they are pets and not for eating purposes. At the end, she took us to a farmers type market which is pretty much the standard for grocery shopping in China. That was quite an experience. The vegetables and fruit were beautifully displayed and so fresh. It was so interesting and I am really glad I went until we got to the back of the market. I saw one thing that I refused to take a photo of it and you can ask me about it later. I had trouble going to sleep seeing this image in my head and unfortunately Jack also saw it. He has not mentioned it and I think it was too horrible for him that he has erased it from his mind. You can see from the pictures above some of the other weird things we saw.

After the walking tour of Guangzhou, we came back to our beautiful island and had a civilized cup of coffee and Jack had a 7-up. Jack and I then went to the park and Tim and Lily did some shopping. We went out for dinner last night with the group for some Cantonese food. It was good, but I much prefer the spicy food from the north.

Lily is feeling better and slept very well last night. Her chest cold is loosening up and her fever seems to be gone. I now have the cold and don't feel that great. At least Jack and Tim are not sick.

This afternoon we go to the US Consulate to get her US passport and swear her in as a US citizen. When she gets off the plane in San Francisco she will be an American. In the past I have thanked China for letting me adopt this beautiful girl. I feel like we are sneaking home a secret Chinese princess. However, I really should thank our country, the good ole' USA! I am so glad to be an American where I have so many opportunities and freedoms including the ability to adopt Lily!

We are so ready to come home. I will miss China, but know I will come back some day to show Lily her place of birth and her beautiful culture. We bought some really cool things to help her embrace China and I plan to print out my "blog" so she can read our journey to bringing her home to her forever family.

She has brought the perfect balance into our family with her sweetness and laughter. We love her so and know you will too, if not already.

Thank you so much for following our trip of a lifetime. We love you all and could feel your love and support all the way in China! Please sign the comments page if you haven't already so we know who has been tuning in. Don't be shy!

With Love from China!
Tim, Lisa, Jack and Lily

>I will do one more follow up post at home and then delete my blog from the internet for the privacy of our family.

16 Comments:

  • God Bless you all! Us Reegs have enjoyed the entire journey you have done. I actually got tears in my eyes as we read your story about getting Lily and how anxious you all were. Grant and Jason can't wait to meet Lily and have Jack come over and play. Enjoy the rest of your travels and see you home soon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:14 PM  

  • You hit the nail on the head when you said "if you don't already love her." We absolutely lover her! Lily is so adorable and we can't wait to see her and you, Jack and Tim as well. We wish you safe travels tomorrow and we look forward to talking to you when you get Lily to her real "home". You have done a truly admirable thing and I know Lily is getting the best family any kid could ask for! Thanks for letting us all experience this with you. It brought us so much happiness, joy, tears, laughter...I think it pretty much covered every emotion I can imagine. We are all very proud of you and happy that you have finally completed your family. Hugs and kisses!
    Pete, Sandi, Nicholas and Benjamin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 PM  

  • Thank you so much for sharing this amazing experience. You have opened our eyes to a whole new part of the world. It has been so fun and interesting to check in each day and see what the Watsons are up to.
    Glad to hear that Lily is feeling better. Sorry that you're not, Lisa. Wishing you all the best for the big flight home.
    We can't wait to see you and meet Lily.
    Love, The Bergmans

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 PM  

  • Lily and Jack have a whole class of third and fourth grade fans! We check together every few days to see what new adventures they have had. The kids were relieved to hear Jack had found his wallet.

    Maybe we can all go back with you when you take Lily back. I never would have wanted to visit China until I saw it through your eyes!

    Thanks!
    Aunt Tracy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:37 AM  

  • Watsons, we have been with you all the way, through your blog and in prayer. We love you all and are anxious to meet Lily Lu. Is Paonia on your way home? Love you. Claudia, Tom and Chris

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:52 AM  

  • Ah, Lisa, We should thank you for making your "trip of a lifetime" a trip that we could all share through your eyes. Watching Jack have an exciting adventure, Seeing Lily in your arms, and getting a good taste of China while following you around each morning. I will miss the excitment I feel each morning wondering what you will have to show and tell us. However, I will be so glad when you are all home safe and sound so I can make plans for a joyous visit. I can't wait to see my Jack and hold Lily as a Grammie should - loads of hugs and kisses to you all. Grammie

    By Blogger Grammie, at 7:10 AM  

  • Have a safe (and I hope) healthy trip home. This has been quite an adventure (for all of us here too). We all love you all and can't wait to see you in person and hear more.
    Could I come 2-24 to 3-3? Got a unbelievable price. Waiting for your call or message to confirm.
    Love, Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:32 AM  

  • Wow, we can't believe that the journey is almost over. It seems like it went pretty fast but sometimes it seems like you have been gone forever. Sorry I missed it. Be sure to save a short window of time for me to come to meet Lily. It sounds like you will be having a pretty busy house for a while and I hope you can have some time to settle in your nest with your beautiful little bird.
    This blog is a great thing and we have spent a lot of time on it each morning. We're glad to hear Lily is feeling better and hope it passes by you quickly and avoids the boys. This has been a remarkable thing that you have done and someday Lily will realize how blessed she is to have been able to join your family. I'm very proud of you all.
    Love Papa and Suzi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 AM  

  • Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It has been so wonderful to learn so much about Lily's culture and her new life with you, Tim and Jack. We hope you and Lily feel better and that you all have a safe trip home. Can't wait to meet her!

    PS - Conner wanted me to tell you he took 2nd place in the school spelling bee (to a 5th grader!).
    It all started with you!!! :)

    Love,
    The Riley's

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:58 PM  

  • I have SO enjoyed reading about all your adventures the past 2 weeks! I hope your flight home goes as smoothly as possible and will be calling in about a week to bring by a "new baby" dinner! Can't wait to meet Lily and see you all again!
    Love, the Hollands

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:33 PM  

  • Thank you for taking the time to share your journey with all of us. I've really enjoyed reading about your adventures each day. Dean and Maddie have really gotten a kick out of it, as well.

    I'm so impressed by what a trooper Jack has been through this whole experience! He's already shown what a great big brother he is going to be. I keep thinking about the time Jack reached into Lily's jacket and held her hand while she was sound asleep on the plane. Moments like that make everything worth it.

    We're looking forward to seeing you guys when you get back and time is right.

    Love,
    Mary :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 PM  

  • Loved the pics of the market. We walked through a "wet" market, but weren't able to take much time to stop and take pics, so I'm glad you did! Did you buy any food? (tee hee) Looked like the weather was really nice :>)
    Well, by now Lily is an American citizen--yea! You are on the plan now and hopefully sleeping. I will be thinking of you in the morning in my second period class when you are supposed to arrive home. How good it will feel to put your feet on American soil, knowing Lily is yours and you are hers. What a lucky and blessed little girl she is! Will there be a welcoming committee there to greet you? I wish it could be all of us--your Colo. family--but since we can't be there, you'll be in my prayers of thanksgiving and thoughts of love! Until we can talk on the phone and hopefully before too long see you in person,
    Love and God bless,
    Sally

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 PM  

  • I so loved reading all the details about your trip and seeing the pictures! Lily's pictures literally brought tears to my eye, she's so lovely. I'm so happy for al of you and can't wait to meet Lily in person!!!
    Love,
    Christine

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 PM  

  • Thank you so much for including us in your trip of a lifetime. I almost feel as if I was there too. Cannot wait to meet sweet Lily, and of course, big brother and proud Mom and Dad too. We are so happy for you!
    Love,
    The Karlsons

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 PM  

  • We are so happy for you. I've been praying for all of you. Yes, what
    a journey you've been on and a life
    change adding Lily to your family.
    She is beautiful!! We are glad you
    are home safe and enjoying your wonderful new family..

    By Blogger Ideal Scents LLC, at 8:43 AM  

  • Tim,

    I am glad to see you and your family so happy. She's a beautiful child, too bad your so ugly....lol....

    All kidding aside, I'm glad your happy. God Bless your family.

    Chris DeSelms

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home